Lasting change is impossible if those who suffer injustice are not involved in the defence of their own rights so we work together with the persons and communities we serve to contribute to the transformation of unjust social structures.
Transformation must also come through influencing those people, companies, politicians and groups that have power to change the situations.
Paz y Esperanza therefore has a multi-pronged approach that includes:
- Encouraging participation of all people in democratic decision-making
- Influencing laws or policies to protect marginalized or excluded populations
- Public education and awareness raising
- Training of public officials to fulfil their duties towards society
- Motivating the church to play a more active role in society and contribute to individual and social transformation
- Legal representation of those who have suffered injustice
- Psychological and spiritual rehabilitation